rev2 vs mopho X4

rev2 vs mopho X4
« on: September 02, 2018, 04:28:40 AM »
In a store I compared a very basic patch - sawtooth only, no sub-oscillators, no LFO, four notes only, no effects - on both, the rev2 and the mopho X4. Without diving too much into the interface I had the impression that the rev2 sounds much warmer and wider (!) than the mopho although the voices should be the same! Can anyone help understanding this?
Thanks!

Re: rev2 vs mopho X4
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 08:29:32 AM »
Im fairly certain the tetra and mopho voices have a filter feedback parameter to overdrive the filter

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 08:47:08 AM »
Depends on what you mean by warmer (midsy? more harmonics? buzzier? less buzzy?) and wider (stereo field? more mids? more overtones?)

But the Rev 2 has variable oscillators so the sawtooth has more than one sound whereas the Mopho’s saw is factory set to one position, which means the perceived width and warmth will depend on where the Rev2’s saw is set.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 02:08:53 AM »
Depends on what you mean by warmer (midsy? more harmonics? buzzier? less buzzy?) and wider (stereo field? more mids? more overtones?)

But the Rev 2 has variable oscillators so the sawtooth has more than one sound whereas the Mopho’s saw is factory set to one position, which means the perceived width and warmth will depend on where the Rev2’s saw is set.

By wider I mean that I got a stereo impression from the sound and by warmer I mean that it's less buzzy with slightly more bass although the filter was in the same position and set to 24dB on both. Feedback in the mopho was off as well as drive on the rev2. The warmer sound might be due to the oscillator shape - are there some hidden settings not accessible from the knobs?
I also had the impression that the effect was not completely off although the button was switched off

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 11:04:58 AM »

By wider I mean that I got a stereo impression from the sound and by warmer I mean that it's less buzzy with slightly more bass although the filter was in the same position and set to 24dB on both. Feedback in the mopho was off as well as drive on the rev2. The warmer sound might be due to the oscillator shape - are there some hidden settings not accessible from the knobs?
I also had the impression that the effect was not completely off although the button was switched off

The wave shape knob is on the panel on the Rev 2--no hidden setting.

Both have pan spread but the Rev2's might be wider.

I've not noticed any effects bleed.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 07:19:02 PM »
I have been wondering the same thing for months!!  I used to own a Mopho X4 and currently own a Rev2.  When I first got my Rev2 and lit up those keys and scrolled through it’s patches I thought, hot damn this synth has some sweet ass stereo imaging going on!!  I can only imagine what the imaging on the new Pro X sounds like as it has stereo filters, but yeah my Mopho X4 was not deep in the stereo field at all, compared to my my Rev2.  Wonder what’s the deal with that
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 04:56:33 AM »
As far as I remember well it was not due to the shape parameter. I will try the pan spread, thanks!