Re: The REV2 is a deep and VERY capable synth
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2018, 05:20:59 PM »
You are truly prolific!  Great job!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »
Here is a quick mashup of the last demo "Frozen Time", with some added other programs from earlier... just to demonstrate how they fit together in context... this demonstrates well what kind of music it is that i want to create with these sounds.

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/BankDemo.mp3
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Gomjab

« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2018, 07:33:35 PM »
Here is a quick mashup of the last demo "Frozen Time", with some added other programs from earlier... just to demonstrate how they fit together in context... this demonstrates well what kind of music it is that i want to create with these sounds.

That is gorgeous!  How many tracks is that recording?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2018, 07:35:36 PM »

Beautiful and cryptic.  I'd be proud to put my own name to that.

« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2018, 10:44:41 PM »
Razmo is deep and VERY capable  :)

« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2018, 10:58:13 PM »
Razmo is also very kind and supportive, giving long and precise descriptions when being asked about things :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2018, 12:14:23 AM »

That is gorgeous!  How many tracks is that recording?

About 5-6 track layers :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2018, 03:34:33 AM »
Thank you for all the compliments... it means a lot, and is a great part of what makes me continue on with this bank, perfecting all and every sound to the best of my abilities.

With that said though, I must confess that having the bank ready for the first of december was perhaps a bit too confident... I still have 32 programs to make, and after that, I'm to finetune all 128 of them since some still lack programming for some of the physical controls (pressure, velocity, pedal, modwheel etc.)... a few also need to have something on the B layer since they currently only use layer A (it's my goal that every single program use both layers, with layer B being an "add on" that can easily be switched out if you need the extra polyphony, or want the added FX switched off... i want to utilize all the juice of the REV2 for every program, simple as that). The only thing that will remain empty is the poly sequencer data... this is simply because anybody would want to make their own sequences, and not use premade ones... there is no reason to have anything in there... but they will be cleared, and ready to go, so that you do not have to deal with that when you want to create a new sequence for a program (Sequential have still not fixed the problem with having to constantly copy sequence A to B via the misc menu if you use a stacked program).

So... I need a bit more time to finish this bank... also, december is a busy month, so I'll just say that it'll definitely be finished some day within december... I also need to make a thorough manual for listing the programs and describing them, and how to use them, as some of the programs won't come alive until you start moving controllers, and some even need to be used in a specific way that will need explanation. I may create this document AFTER the release of the bank though...

« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2018, 04:21:10 AM »
Thank you for all the compliments... it means a lot, and is a great part of what makes me continue on with this bank, perfecting all and every sound to the best of my abilities.

With that said though, I must confess that having the bank ready for the first of december was perhaps a bit too confident... I still have 32 programs to make, and after that, I'm to finetune all 128 of them since some still lack programming for some of the physical controls (pressure, velocity, pedal, modwheel etc.)... a few also need to have something on the B layer since they currently only use layer A (it's my goal that every single program use both layers, with layer B being an "add on" that can easily be switched out if you need the extra polyphony, or want the added FX switched off... i want to utilize all the juice of the REV2 for every program, simple as that). The only thing that will remain empty is the poly sequencer data... this is simply because anybody would want to make their own sequences, and not use premade ones... there is no reason to have anything in there... but they will be cleared, and ready to go, so that you do not have to deal with that when you want to create a new sequence for a program (Sequential have still not fixed the problem with having to constantly copy sequence A to B via the misc menu if you use a stacked program).

So... I need a bit more time to finish this bank... also, december is a busy month, so I'll just say that it'll definitely be finished some day within december... I also need to make a thorough manual for listing the programs and describing them, and how to use them, as some of the programs won't come alive until you start moving controllers, and some even need to be used in a specific way that will need explanation. I may create this document AFTER the release of the bank though...
Not programming sequencer makes sense especially when it cannot be transposed (I struggle to find a usage for the sequencer, really sounds like a sound demo feature to me). But the gate sequencer has a lot more potential especially for sound design. Too bad it is so cumbersome to program. Is that something you plan to use in your bank?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2018, 04:53:30 AM »

Not programming sequencer makes sense especially when it cannot be transposed (I struggle to find a usage for the sequencer, really sounds like a sound demo feature to me). But the gate sequencer has a lot more potential especially for sound design. Too bad it is so cumbersome to program. Is that something you plan to use in your bank?

The gated sequencer is already in use on several programs, yes :) ... but not as much as I'd have liked... it's a nightmare to program it on the small display of the REV2, but I'm using my own editor that has all parameters on the screen at the same time, including the gated sequencer laid out in nice rows, so it's not hard for me to utilize it if I want to... actually having such an editor to create these sounds are part of the secret really ;) ... it saves a hell of a lot of time programming, and gives a much better overview of your program (see attached picture of my editor screen).

About the Poly Sequencer... I could have programmed in some sequences, but who would want to use other peoples melodylines, especially when everyone has access to them? ... it makes no sense for anything but (as you say) demoing the synth... but with that said, the poly sequencer is still very much useful, especially if you use your synth standalone without sequencing it from a DAW (like I intend on doing)... it allow you you quickly play in short sequenes that you can then quickly tailor via the frontpanel, and tweak in realtime... I'll be doing just that when I start on making music... I record each track one by one in layers in my DAW (just the audio), so I can tweak and twist knobs on those sequences running for a lot more expressive feel to them... and some melodylines just NEED to be tightly quantized (especially percussion and bassnotes/arp lines)... so both the poly sequencer and arpeggiator is very very important to me.

By the way... you can transpose the poly sequencer, it's just a bit circumstancial... hold the "Record" button in the sequencer section while pressing a key and it will transpose... it's not as good for live use as you would want though.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:05:49 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2018, 06:04:36 AM »
By the way... you can transpose the poly sequencer, it's just a bit circumstancial... hold the "Record" button in the sequencer section while pressing a key and it will transpose... it's not as good for live use as you would want though.
That's one for the tips and tricks section!

jok3r

« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2018, 12:33:49 AM »
Did you programm this editor all by yourself, or did you have some code available to start from? Because I can read 'adapted by ...' in the picture...

The editor looks very nice. Very simple, but you really see everything at once. Seems like a stupid question, but with selfmade stuff you never know: does it work bidirectional? If you change values on the Rev2 itself, does it show the changes in the editor immediately? I usually don't use any software editors, but this one looks really nice for "just monitoring" what is going on... and programming the gated sequencer ;-)
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2018, 01:48:46 AM »
Did you programm this editor all by yourself, or did you have some code available to start from? Because I can read 'adapted by ...' in the picture...

The editor looks very nice. Very simple, but you really see everything at once. Seems like a stupid question, but with selfmade stuff you never know: does it work bidirectional? If you change values on the Rev2 itself, does it show the changes in the editor immediately? I usually don't use any software editors, but this one looks really nice for "just monitoring" what is going on... and programming the gated sequencer ;-)

The editor was made by creating an adaption for the program, and yes I made it myself. It is a very old program made by Emagic called Sounddiver... It is not supported anymore, it was ended in 2002 I think, and has quite a few limitations and quirks these days... Graphics very outdated... But it still allow for creating editors for a lot of synths, and Sequential MIDI specs are usually very easy to implement... Unfortunately the program cannot be bought anymore, so you have to rely on a cracked old version to use it... I have made many editors with this, and could not live without it. But if anyone have sounddiver and use it still, just ask and you can have the adaption free of charge... I also have editors for Prophet 8, Prophet 12, Tempest (sound edit only), Poly Evolver, Desktop Evolver... I may even still have for Mopho and Tetra as well.

Bidirectional functionality... Yes, but as far as I recall, that part is buggy and can make the program crash... Anyway, I never use bidirectional functionality because I would rather just use the editor when designing my sounds.

Another great use of Sounddiver is that it allow for memory management. I can copy and paste programs freely about the REV2 memories, even into the factory ones, but it also have a good librarian feature so that you can audition programs on the fly while browsing huge libraries.

It is really a shame this program was discontinued... I would really like to see this program in a modern version...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 01:56:45 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2018, 10:54:54 PM »

The editor was made by creating an adaption for the program, and yes I made it myself. It is a very old program made by Emagic called Sounddiver... It is not supported anymore, it was ended in 2002 I think, and has quite a few limitations and quirks these days... Graphics very outdated... But it still allow for creating editors for a lot of synths, and Sequential MIDI specs are usually very easy to implement... Unfortunately the program cannot be bought anymore, so you have to rely on a cracked old version to use it... I have made many editors with this, and could not live without it. But if anyone have sounddiver and use it still, just ask and you can have the adaption free of charge... I also have editors for Prophet 8, Prophet 12, Tempest (sound edit only), Poly Evolver, Desktop Evolver... I may even still have for Mopho and Tetra as well.

Bidirectional functionality... Yes, but as far as I recall, that part is buggy and can make the program crash... Anyway, I never use bidirectional functionality because I would rather just use the editor when designing my sounds.

Another great use of Sounddiver is that it allow for memory management. I can copy and paste programs freely about the REV2 memories, even into the factory ones, but it also have a good librarian feature so that you can audition programs on the fly while browsing huge libraries.

It is really a shame this program was discontinued... I would really like to see this program in a modern version...

Just found this http://ctrlr.org/
Definitely worth some investigation over the WE

Djinn

« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2018, 12:27:25 AM »
Yes and ctrlr already has a panel for the old p08 iv been trying to decipher and convert it but its a little beyond me some help would definitely be appreciated
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 12:38:46 AM by Djinn »

jok3r

« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2018, 04:39:44 AM »
That looks indeed very interesting. I will try that on the weekend...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

maxter

« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2018, 05:06:01 AM »
For those who have an iPad there's also an app called TB Midi Stuff, on which I've made a Rev2 editor. I created it mainly for easier editing of the gated sequencer (for me the biggest setback of the Rev2 compared to Prophet '08), but once that was completed I just kept adding the rest of the stuff. What isn't there yet is the Global parameters, but otherwise I believe it's all there. And it's bidirectional.

It also lacks patch transfer compatibility, completely. So in my case I have to save a "Canvas Snapshot" for each patch I make, in case I want to edit that particular patch later. Not that hard, I just name the snapshot the same as the patch. I'd like to upload it somewhere, if anyone knows a good, free way to do so, please let me know.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2018, 11:16:07 AM »
I'd like to upload it somewhere, if anyone knows a good, free way to do so, please let me know.

Great work, thanks a lot for sharing! Why not attaching it to your posting here in the forum? It allows zip files for example.
DSI Prophet Rev2

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/PlanetRings.mp3

New program: "Planet Rings"

This one was an imitation of a program I once had on a Waldorf Microwave synth... trying to simulate it as much as possible... I always imagined deep space when I listened to that sound, so that's the reason for the name here.

Just REV2... nothing else.

« Reply #179 on: November 26, 2018, 01:30:07 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/PlanetRings.mp3

New program: "Planet Rings"

This one was an imitation of a program I once had on a Waldorf Microwave synth... trying to simulate it as much as possible... I always imagined deep space when I listened to that sound, so that's the reason for the name here.

Just REV2... nothing else.

Another good one Razmo. Love that the patch-bank is going in an ambient direction.