The mystery of the mod weel and the expression pedal.

The mystery of the mod weel and the expression pedal.
« on: July 21, 2018, 02:06:02 AM »

hi everyone, some little question about mod and expression pedal.

1 )  For a global use, I realised that you can not assign the expression pedal to the modwheel in the global settings (   :-\ ?! ) that's a pity, but have you a trick to do the job in a global way ?

2 ) When I assign  " LPF " to the pedal in the global settings, I don't understand what I really control and wich knobs it affects, is it a mix of the cut off and the resonance and other things ? Because when I turn the cut off all the way up at the same time it's really different and less harsh that what the pedal does.

3 ) Not a big deal, but is it normal the modwheel affect the LAYER A when you are playing and editing the LAYER B ? ( in multimode ON )

- For example, when you directly play on the REV2,  you  play and let run an arpegiated chord on LAYER A.
And when I switch and play on LAYER B ( the LAYER A continu to run only when you are in multimode ON ) the modweel affect the LAYER A too...That can be sweet, but if you just whant to affect the layer you are playing I don't know what to do.

thank y :) u !
Not native english speaker.

Re: The mystery of the mod weel and the expression pedal.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 07:57:34 PM »
1. You can just route the exp pedal and the mod wheel to the same destination. If you were able to route the exp pedal as a mod source to the mod wheel, another mod source, all you'd be able to control is the amount of effect that the mod wheel has, but that's what the mod wheel already does. Unless I'm missing what you want to do?
2. LPF controls the cutoff. I don't hear any difference between using mod wheel vs CV pedal to control it. Maybe your controller is exceeding the expected range of CV?
3. Yes, because in Multi Mode essentially you've made 2 synths that share the same controls but just one at a time. But if you hit Edit Layer B you should find that the wheel only controls B. Multi Mode is mostly useful for sending MIDI/CCs/NRPNs to 2 different MIDI channels, one for each layer. If you are using the Rev2 more as a performance keyboard, it's probably better to set Multi Mode to OFF and use stacks and splits.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:47:15 PM by guyaguy »

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 11:39:15 PM »

hello,

What I want to do is assign pedal expression to CC1 localy ---> so all the 512 presets with 100 complex modulations maped to the mod wheel are now also controlable with your foot when playing live or browsing patch, a foot that was bored on the ground ;D

1) the only thing I did is in the global settings, because I just want to map the mod wheel to the pedal expression ( or map the EP to the MW ) : For all the presets in a global way at once.

2) Huge difference for me,  I tried to compare with cut off knob, not with the MW as other parameters was also controled by the MD: But I need to do more test with a simple init sound indeed, also try with an other pedal.   

ps : By the way I don't get the option in the global / expression pedal settings : CC11 ?
I hoped to see a CC1 but isn't CC11 the expression CC ?! I don't get it, assign the expression pedal to the expression pedal ?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 10:04:41 AM »
One thing to remember is that some of the physical controls are not per voice based, but rather global... this goes for Mod Wheel, Pitch Wheel, Foot Pedal, Foot Switch etc... therefore, when every voice is "running", they are essentially all listening to the same control at the same time... you cannot have the Mod Wheel have 16 different positions for each voice, when there is only one physical control...

The effect is that whenever you move one of these controls, then every voice playing will be affected in exactly the same way, and with the same current value, regardless of playing modes (single/stack/split)... just try to route the MOD wheel to the VCA destination and move the Mod Wheel... what you'll hear is ALL 16 voices play at the same time, and in this case even the ones that was not sounding... a cool trick for drones by the way ;)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
One thing to remember is that some of the physical controls are not per voice based, but rather global... this goes for Mod Wheel, Pitch Wheel, Foot Pedal, Foot Switch etc... therefore, when every voice is "running", they are essentially all listening to the same control at the same time... you cannot have the Mod Wheel have 16 different positions for each voice, when there is only one physical control...

The effect is that whenever you move one of these controls, then every voice playing will be affected in exactly the same way, and with the same current value, regardless of playing modes (single/stack/split)... just try to route the MOD wheel to the VCA destination and move the Mod Wheel... what you'll hear is ALL 16 voices play at the same time, and in this case even the ones that was not sounding... a cool trick for drones by the way ;)

Ok, interesting !

But for my question on how to control the mod wheel with the expression pedal pluged into the rev2, any ideas ? 

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »

hello,

What I want to do is assign pedal expression to CC1 localy ---> so all the 512 presets with 100 complex modulations maped to the mod wheel are now also controlable with your foot when playing live or browsing patch, a foot that was bored on the ground ;D

1) the only thing I did is in the global settings, because I just want to map the mod wheel to the pedal expression ( or map the EP to the MW ) : For all the presets in a global way at once.

Ah, no way of doing that AFAIK. The only solution that comes to mind is a MIDI expression pedal that can send messages on CC#1.

2) Huge difference for me,  I tried to compare with cut off knob, not with the MW as other parameters was also controled by the MD: But I need to do more test with a simple init sound indeed, also try with an other pedal.   

ps : By the way I don't get the option in the global / expression pedal settings : CC11 ?
I hoped to see a CC1 but isn't CC11 the expression CC ?! I don't get it, assign the expression pedal to the expression pedal ?
The signal sent into the Pedal/CV input is converted to MIDI. So basically it's asking "On which CC# do you want the converted signal to send messages?"

maxter

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 12:52:38 PM »

Ok, interesting !

But for my question on how to control the mod wheel with the expression pedal pluged into the rev2, any ideas ?

You can not control a controller source with another controller source. Both Foot Pedal (CC#4) and Mod Wheel (CC#1) are controller sources, not destinations. To accomplish what you're looking to do, you have to check in the Modulation Matrix for what slots the Mod Wheel is assigned as a source, and change it to Foot Pedal. There is also a fixed modulation routing in which there's both the Modulation Wheel and Foot Pedal, so you would have to assign whatever destination and amount is set for the MW to the FP as well, to accomplish the same modulation with the FP as MW.

You have to do this with every patch you want to change, btw...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:54:19 PM by maxter »
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 01:03:23 PM »

You can not control a controller source with another controller source.
You can, just not what he's trying to do. For example, an envelope can control LFO rate, an LFO can control another LFO's rate, breath can control Mod 5 amount, etc. For what latoxine is trying to do, however, it's more that DSI has hard coded choices for which CCs the Pedal/CV in control in Global Settings. Per patch, you have a lot more freedom, like you said.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »

Ok, interesting !

None, except for a very tedious solution... because I actually thought about this myself since I wanted to be able to have the Mod Wheel controlled by the Pedal input as well... there is no easy solution that I know of... you will have to make the routing of both to the same destination in the Mod Matrix... but that has to be done for each and every program, there is no global way of doing it... I thought about asking for this in the Feature Request thread here actually, but never got around to it...
If you need me, follow the shadows...