Miscallibrated cutoff knob? [SOLVED]

Miscallibrated cutoff knob? [SOLVED]
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:02:55 AM »
Hi,
    New owner here.
    My filter 2 cutoff knob does not seem to behave correctly.  The lowest cutoff frequency seems to be when the knob is at 12 o'clock.  Set to lowpass, with only filter 2 engaged, and nothing in the mod matrix affecting the cutoff frequency and a simple waveform, with the knob set a 12 o'clock, turning clockwise seems to give the full range. But turning counterclockwise from straight up, the frequency ALSO goes up, albeit by less. This is easily heard if the resonance is turned high. The same behavior is exhibited if the filter type is HP. 
     I also own an OB-6, so this is not me being unfamiliar with the filter, or having the filter type knob set wrong.
     The numbers that are displayed when turning the cutoff knob are what you would expect, with fully down being = 0.
It is only the actual audible cutoff frequency that is misbehaving. I have tried running the filter autotune, with no luck.
     Do I need to return this and get a new one? Some other arcane procedure I missed in the manual?
Thanks!!!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:44:15 AM by extempo »

Re: Miscallibrated cutoff knob?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »
Please try setting the Cutoff and Resonance for filter two fully counter-clockwise ("off") and then running the Autotune Filters option in the Global menu.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 11:49:45 AM »
Please try setting the Cutoff and Resonance for filter two fully counter-clockwise ("off") and then running the Autotune Filters option in the Global menu.

That did not cure it. Fully counterclockwise is still brighter than straight up. :(

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 01:12:34 PM »
Thanks. Feel free to send us an audio example to our dedicated support channel and we can tell you if the behavior abnormal or not.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 09:09:05 AM »
Thanks. Feel free to send us an audio example to our dedicated support channel and we can tell you if the behavior abnormal or not.

I did the frequency auto tune a few more times - and this morning it worked!!!!!!
I can't imagine why it would not work the other times I tried, unless I had the knob turned before auto tuning but not the actual value=0. But at any rate, the cutoff behavior is normal now, and I will assume to stay. :)
 Thanks for your responses.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 10:44:01 AM »
Glad it worked for you! It's true that the SEM 12db/oct filter doesn't "clamp down" to complete silence like the 2040-style 24db/oct filter does--this is part of the design of the SEM filter. However, what you were describing was certainly not explained by this fact. Have a great time with your Pro2.
SEQUENTIAL

cbmd

• Sequential
Re: Miscallibrated cutoff knob? [SOLVED]
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 04:58:15 PM »
This bug has been fixed in the latest available BETA OS.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim