Only 4 voices working at a time when MIDI connected (8-voice) [SOLVED]

I'm attempting to use my Rev 2 (8 voice) as a combination synth and MIDI controller.
I have it hooked up (USB) to Mainstage for a few sample patches and Program Change commands.

It seems that in doing so I've halved the number of available voices per layer. So now there are 2 in Layer A and 2 in Layer B.

Is there a workaround, or is this how life is?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:57:30 AM by extempo »

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Re: Only 4 voices working at a time when MIDI connected (8-voice)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 11:12:28 AM »
I'm attempting to use my Rev 2 (8 voice) as a combination synth and MIDI controller.
I have it hooked up (USB) to Mainstage for a few sample patches and Program Change commands.

It seems that in doing so I've halved the number of available voices per layer. So now there are 2 in Layer A and 2 in Layer B.

I believe that is how it works in multi mode. The Rev2 becomes two independent synth modules when driven over 2 MIDI channels. That is how I use it, with external sequencers. If I need more polyphony on the Rev2, I switch multi mode off and only use layer A. Most of the time I prefer more sounds, more variations and I make sure I don't hit the 4 voice limit.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

maxter

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 01:12:44 PM »

I could be mistaken, but since the voicing per layer is halved, it sounds a lot like you may have created a MIDI loop... Well, not a full loop that goes around forever, but that is returned at least. That is, if the MIDI notes you're sending from the Rev2 is directed back to the Rev2, so each time you press a key you actually trigger that note twice, once from the keyboard itself and once from the MIDI returning to the Rev2. Have you tried just sending MIDI to it without using the keyboard on the Rev2 and see how many voices you have then?

All I know is that in multi mode I can control 4 voices in either layer with an external keyboard, 8 in total, on my 8-voice Rev2. I believe that's how life should be.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:20:33 PM by maxter »
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 02:01:30 PM »

I could be mistaken, but since the voicing per layer is halved, it sounds a lot like you may have created a MIDI loop... Well, not a full loop that goes around forever, but that is returned at least. That is, if the MIDI notes you're sending from the Rev2 is directed back to the Rev2, so each time you press a key you actually trigger that note twice, once from the keyboard itself and once from the MIDI returning to the Rev2. Have you tried just sending MIDI to it without using the keyboard on the Rev2 and see how many voices you have then?

All I know is that in multi mode I can control 4 voices in either layer with an external keyboard, 8 in total, on my 8-voice Rev2. I believe that's how life should be.  ;)

You were right!
I hadn't disabled the keyboard in the MIDI IN section on my external instrument.
It's always the details that getcha.

Thanks so much!

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 10:46:35 PM »

You were right!
I hadn't disabled the keyboard in the MIDI IN section on my external instrument.
It's always the details that getcha.

Thanks so much!
My apologies. I misread that you only got 2 voices in stead of what you should have heard: 4 on each layer. Great you found the problem.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.