REV2 as a Master Controller

REV2 as a Master Controller
« on: January 20, 2018, 06:18:44 PM »
Was reading this thread, and got me thinking how best to setup my new REV2 as my main controller with an MMT-8, Minitaur and Reface CP:
http://squarp.community/t/help-needed-to-setup-prophet-6-as-main-keyboard/103

I have a MOTU MIDI Express XT (non-USB version) that supports various Merge options, but not sure if I'm going to run into similar routing issues.

Re: REV2 as a Master Controller
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 01:09:08 PM »
Nobody?  Maybe my question was a bit obtuse.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 07:21:48 AM »
Hey there. Many folks have lives outside of the internet, so it may take some time for someone to respond.

I didn’t look at the link but you mentioned the MOTU, and I have the midi timepiece usb AV.

I have several midi devices all connected to the motu: a rev 2 16 voice, Jupiter 80, ob6, tr-08, tr-09, d-05, mpc X, DAT machine synced to word clock off the motu, fostex 56 track SSD recorder synced to word clock off the motu.

The Jupiter 80 is the main contoller, and with pre-set basecamps, i can route any keyboard to anything else or sync certain items to  certain things.

In your case, you want to use the mmt8 to sequence, so setup a specific preset to just connect those two together. Its simple but each setup is unique to the end user.

But if you are asking if there will be any issues with setups like this, the answer is no. Ive had this setup for quite a while.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:30:12 AM by Morgenspaziergang »

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 05:30:38 PM »
Thanks. 

The problem that the Prophet 6 user was complaining about was that there's no Local Keyboard Off, so when Local Off is set, the P6 (and presumably the REV2) doesn't send knob/panel data locally, so they have to go out and come back in via MIDI.  Sounds like it's inconsistent: some is is CC, some is NPRN, so it's a bit of a routing nightmare.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 03:19:44 PM »
The difference between CC and NRPN is there are many more parameters in existence than in the original MIDI spec. So, you get a limited amount of control via CC, and if you want full control of every parameter then use NRPN.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 04:24:43 PM »
The difference between CC and NRPN is there are many more parameters in existence than in the original MIDI spec. So, you get a limited amount of control via CC, and if you want full control of every parameter then use NRPN.

Will most sequencers pass NRPN data?  Don't know much about it.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »
I'm curious about this as well - I just hit up http://www.lab4music.it/ to see if their Sipario router passes NPRNs. Their manual says it can pass CCs, so if it does NPRNs as well, this could be a decent solution for a modest setup.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 08:46:10 AM »
I contacted lab4music tech support (super quick response, btw) and they said the Sipario MID router would pass NPRNs for zones that have all CCs passing thru. Further, it can be programmed to combine CCs and trigger NRPNs - not sure what I'd do with that, but I dig the extra functionality. For 300 bucks it is a bit pricey, but super powerful for what it does. Most importantly, it appears it will actually give master controller functionality to DSI synths. I'm gonna grab one and see how it goes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:49:04 AM by rel-fi »

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 08:06:38 PM »
I contacted lab4music tech support (super quick response, btw) and they said the Sipario MID router would pass NPRNs for zones that have all CCs passing thru. Further, it can be programmed to combine CCs and trigger NRPNs - not sure what I'd do with that, but I dig the extra functionality. For 300 bucks it is a bit pricey, but super powerful for what it does. Most importantly, it appears it will actually give master controller functionality to DSI synths. I'm gonna grab one and see how it goes.

How did you make out?

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 03:34:24 AM »

Yes they will. These are just normal controllers (98 and 99). Because you use 2 times 7 bytes you have more addresses and more resolution.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 12:56:14 AM »

Yes they will. These are just normal controllers (98 and 99). Because you use 2 times 7 bytes you have more addresses and more resolution.

7 bytes must be 7 bits