Prophet 6 Keybed

jmnes

Prophet 6 Keybed
« on: May 10, 2018, 09:27:07 PM »
I’m looking to buy a Prophet 6 in the coming months. I’m most interested in the desktop module because of the size and I already have a midi controller with decent feel that would work well for the 6.

One thing I’m curious about - the price difference new of the Prophet 6 keyboard vs module is $600.

On the rev2, the difference is is only $200. Is the keybed on the 6 especially good? Or is it some other reason? This will be a lifetime instrument for me. Am I making a mistake getting the module?

4dubs

Re: Prophet 6 Keybed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 10:16:50 PM »
I own both instruments (in keyboard format).  I think they're the same keybed.  If not, they're certainly very close . . . albeit I will say that the P6 keyboard has always felt slightly better to me . . . just seems to be more evenly weighted over the full keyboard.  I could be imagining that, or it could just be my particular instrument(s).  In any case, they both have excellent feeling keybeds (assuming you like the semi weighted, synth-action feel to begin with), and if there is indeed any difference between them, I'm not sure it would warrant the $400 difference.     
DSI:  Prophet 6, Rev 2 16v, Pro 2, OB6
Other:  Moog One 8v, Model D reissue, Voyager, Sub 37, Nord Stage 2 SW73, Behringer Mono/Poly & 2600, Studiologic Sledge Black, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium desktop & STVC, Mellotron Micro, Modal Cobalt 8X, Expresive E Osmose

jmnes

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 07:52:16 PM »
Thank you, much appreciated.

I own both instruments (in keyboard format).  I think they're the same keybed.  If not, they're certainly very close . . . albeit I will say that the P6 keyboard has always felt slightly better to me . . . just seems to be more evenly weighted over the full keyboard.  I could be imagining that, or it could just be my particular instrument(s).  In any case, they both have excellent feeling keybeds (assuming you like the semi weighted, synth-action feel to begin with), and if there is indeed any difference between them, I'm not sure it would warrant the $400 difference.     

ddp

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 06:59:46 PM »
I also have both and agree that the Prophet 6 feels slightly better, the shape is slightly different and it's better balanced.  The Rev2 feels lighter to me, but they're both fairly decent.  I've read that they're Fatar TP/9S.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.