Best Polysynth for live performance (piano player)?

Flooman

Best Polysynth for live performance (piano player)?
« on: February 16, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »
Hi!

This is ms first post after reading a lot and already checking DSI Synths in store.
This post aims at musicians who use a DSI polysynth for live keyboard performance.
I'm a trained piano player and would like to add some analog synth sounds to my music, mainly jazz (solo lines or pads) or more experimental kind of music.

I do like the sounds of more of less all the DSI synths. My question is, which is the best for live playing? My main gig board is a Nord Stage. I really like having a dedicated knob for every parameter, no need for deep programming. I'm no expert in analog synthesis but I understand the general structure and know which function would do the change I expected.

Testing the OB6, I can say I like the sound very much. Knob per function is great. 49 keys on the downside, as well as 6 voices may be not enough. P6 is almost the same for me, but I know the sound is quite different.

Testing the rev2, I liked the 61 keys and 16 voices. But I have the impression it is less easy to program and tweak. Soundwise I do like it.

I would really appreciate some opinions to come to a decision.
Thanks!

Flooman

dsetto

Re: Best Polysynth for live performance (piano player)?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:34:36 PM »
As a piano player, in my first poly, I wanted one that could approximate some pianistic elements. I was ready to go for one when Rev2 came out; and I got it. I'm pleased. (I don't really know the P6/OB6 other than played each one time.)

Programming-wise, one could keep it simple & only use one layer (Stack A), and have 16 voices. All the fundamentals have knobs. I think 16 voices is helpful in recreating the ringing tones that can happen in piano playing.

As a side note, timbrally, I recall getting the OB-6 close timbrally to a harmonically rich piano (vs a more mellow fundamental focus sound). But I prefer to approximate it functionally.

In the end -- synth action isn't that of a piano. Nor is the sound. So it becomes a 'dancing about art' pursuit. And I find value in that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:49:15 PM by dsetto »

Flooman

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 10:11:23 AM »
Thank you for your post, dsetto. Yes, I think I'll have to re-think my playing style on a synth. But the mentioned 16 voice polyphony will definitely help me on that way.

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 10:29:17 AM »
Well it depends on what type of sounds you want to add. Bass lines, leads, pads

I wouldn’t worry about the number of keys either as Herbie got a lot of mileage out of the ARP Odyssey which had less keys than the OB6 or P6. Wakeman used a Minimoog which again had less keys.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »
It's also not the same as an organ, either, which might throw a classically-inclined technician for a loop.

There exists no classical keyboard equivalent of a monosynth featuring distinct trigger and gate functionality, or note priority; as such, performance techniques must be learned, per-patch, casting a shadow* over both the organ and piano as technically "complete" keyboard instruments.

* - Closed-form, perhaps, but woefully incomplete.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Flooman

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 10:46:45 AM »
LoboLives: thanks for your answer ! I would use it for Leads and pads.

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 11:49:37 AM »
LoboLives: thanks for your answer ! I would use it for Leads and pads.

Hmm well with the REV2 you can always have a pad sequence going on one layer while you are doing a layer with another patch and still managing to play the NORD with your other hand. So three sounds at once.

That being said sometimes less is more and I personally find the OB6 and Prophet 6 more user friendly for live performance, espcially if you are switching between patches. The REV2 sadly only has a dial to scroll through the patches which makes it awkward switching between them on the fly. The P6 and OB6 have buttons for quick access. I wouldn't sweat the 49 keys either. If you are simply "Adding" elements to your jazz you may not need five octaves. Again listen to Herbie and how much millage he got out of the ARP Odyssey. That was only duophonic and three octaves. I guarantee you once you start playing the Nord and OB6 together you won't be bothered by it.

Flooman

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 01:39:52 PM »
LoboLives, you just destroyed my almost-there-decision for a Rev2 ;-) Do you have any experience or opinion which of the two (rev2 vs. ob 6) maybe better fitting to a more funky jazz genre?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »
Hi!

This is ms first post after reading a lot and already checking DSI Synths in store.
This post aims at musicians who use a DSI polysynth for live keyboard performance.
I'm a trained piano player and would like to add some analog synth sounds to my music, mainly jazz (solo lines or pads) or more experimental kind of music.

I do like the sounds of more of less all the DSI synths. My question is, which is the best for live playing? My main gig board is a Nord Stage. I really like having a dedicated knob for every parameter, no need for deep programming. I'm no expert in analog synthesis but I understand the general structure and know which function would do the change I expected.

Testing the OB6, I can say I like the sound very much. Knob per function is great. 49 keys on the downside, as well as 6 voices may be not enough. P6 is almost the same for me, but I know the sound is quite different.

Testing the rev2, I liked the 61 keys and 16 voices. But I have the impression it is less easy to program and tweak. Soundwise I do like it.

I would really appreciate some opinions to come to a decision.
Thanks!

Flooman

Why compromise with keyboard size, especially since you're used to a piano-length keyboard?  Be wary of buying an instrument that will likely become inadequate to your needs, that you will predictably outgrow.  Three octaves is sometimes adequate for solo playing - and yet, sometimes not.  Even four-octaves will at times be too few, especially if you want to use the instrument for chordal or arpeggiated accompaniment.  Have you ever played an eight or ten-note arpeggio on a six-voice instrument?  It isn't pretty, as the bottom notes disappear and the sound looses its fullness.

Since you're up near the $3,000 price range with the Prophet-6, why not consider the Prophet 12?  It might be a bit overwhelming for a while, due to its complexity; but in terms of keyboard size, performance controls, voice count, and sound design potential, you could hardly find a finer instrument.

If the P12 would understandably be overwhelming, then the Rev seems like a good possibility.  It isn't really that complicated.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:46:19 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 10:19:21 PM »
LoboLives, you just destroyed my almost-there-decision for a Rev2 ;-) Do you have any experience or opinion which of the two (rev2 vs. ob 6) maybe better fitting to a more funky jazz genre?

The REV2 for me is more of a companion piece to my Prophet 6. The Prophet 6 is my favourite synth of all time. I personally am not going for an OB6 as it’s too similar to the P6.

I don’t look at limited voices or limited octaves as a limitation but more forcing me to be more creative. For the funky Jazz genre..well Miles Davis played an Oberheim on some of his Tutu era stuff.

My suggestion, go to the store, initialize a patch on both and see how fast you can create a new one from scratch on both. Play them both. Don’t overthink it, feel it. And let that be your guide. Octaves, polyphony, menus and even forums be damned.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:37:21 PM by LoboLives »

Flooman

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 02:31:34 AM »
Hi again,
I checked the synths in store and do like the keybed and polyphony of the rev2 a lot. But I have one question concerning the arpeggiator (or sequencer?), maybe relevant to all DSI synths:

Sometimes I'd like the synth to play a custom arpeggio (let's say an individual order of a maj7 chord). I know I can set the arpeggio "as played". Then I would use the hold function and play with my electric piano on top. After some bars (although not specified, as I'm playing mostly improvised music) I want the chord to change, but not the custom order of the played notes: I want to transpose the arpeggio to a different chord.

Is that possible with DSI synth? I know i could transpose a recorded sequence, but i would need both hands to press record and the new key. And I could not change from major to minor chords for example. In arpeggio mode, I fear i will lose the custom arpeggio if I hit another chord.

Any advice on this?
Thanks!

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 03:28:46 AM »
Hi again,
I checked the synths in store and do like the keybed and polyphony of the rev2 a lot. But I have one question concerning the arpeggiator (or sequencer?), maybe relevant to all DSI synths:

Sometimes I'd like the synth to play a custom arpeggio (let's say an individual order of a maj7 chord). I know I can set the arpeggio "as played". Then I would use the hold function and play with my electric piano on top. After some bars (although not specified, as I'm playing mostly improvised music) I want the chord to change, but not the custom order of the played notes: I want to transpose the arpeggio to a different chord.

Is that possible with DSI synth? I know i could transpose a recorded sequence, but i would need both hands to press record and the new key. And I could not change from major to minor chords for example. In arpeggio mode, I fear i will lose the custom arpeggio if I hit another chord.

Any advice on this?
Thanks!

This is a feature that a lot of people have been requesting since the Prophet 6: The ability to transpose the sequence on the fly without having to hold down the record button.

The only way to do this is play the alternating chords you want to arppegiate with "HOLD" on with "ARP RELATCH" turned on so it starts a new arpeggio every time you change the chord instead of simply adding new notes to your initial chord.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 09:54:25 AM »
If both chords are the exact same type, then you could try using the modulation wheel as a sort of transposer.  Set the upper limit of the wheel to the interval you want the chord to shift to.

Flooman

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 01:02:09 PM »
Thank you for your replies, LoBoLives and Sacred!
Tomorrow my Rev2-16 will arrive. I hope it will be inspiring and useful for my music.