Mod wheel polarity reversed?

Mod wheel polarity reversed?
« on: December 30, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
Hi,

Did a search for this, but couldn't seem to find anyone experiencing this:

I just got my Rev2, and it seems the polarity on the Mod wheel is reversed. Anyone know of this problem?

So when I initialize a new basic patch and create for instance a basic vibrato by assigning an lfo to pitch, and assigning mod wheel to lfo depth, no modulation occurs at the top most position of the wheel, and the full modulation occurs at the bottom most position.

I've tried calibrating the wheels, restoring factory settings, and even calibrating the oscillators. No luck. I first noticed it when going through the factory presets where I thought the modulation was a bit heavy on many of them. Turns out it was because all the modulation from the mod wheel was happening at the bottom position.

Hmm, what to do?  :-\

Re: Mod wheel polarity reversed?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
Assign the mod wheel to the oscillator frequency, use a positive amount. Does it then behave like the pitch wheel? Just to be sure to have only the minimum settings for getting a change of the tone by moving the wheel.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:47:57 AM by skrohmer »
DSI Prophet Rev2

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 08:57:08 AM »
Assign the mod wheel to the oscillator frequency, use a positive amount. Does it then behave like the pitch wheel? Just to be sure to have only the minimum settings for getting a change of the tone by moving the wheel.

Hi Skrohmer, thanks for the reply. It behaves like the pitch wheel yes, but the issue is the same: with the wheel at the 0 (down) position, a positive value makes the pitch go up, and setting the wheel to max makes the note return to its normal pitch.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know, so it does not behave like the pitch wheel, but vice versa. Strange, I have just calibrated the wheels by using the opposite limits of the mod wheel, not the ones required by the calibration routine, and it still does work correct anyway, a higher tone when I move the wheel away from me, so even a mistake at the calibration should not do this. Maybe the cables at the wheel are soldered in a wrong order. If the calibration does not help I would suggest to contact the support.
DSI Prophet Rev2

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 09:17:30 AM »
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know, so it does not behave like the pitch wheel, but vice versa. Strange, I have just calibrated the wheels by using the opposite limits of the mod wheel, not the ones required by the calibration routine, and it still does work correct anyway, a higher tone when I move the wheel away from me, so even a mistake at the calibration should not do this. Maybe the cables at the wheel are soldered in a wrong order. If the calibration does not help I would suggest to contact the support.

Yeah, it's weird. I tried doing the same thing earlier, to calibrate them 'opposite' of what the calibration directions say. I was hoping that would fix it. Could be simply soldered the wrong way, but it just seems crazy that a mod wheel the wrong way would slip through quality control. I'll try support, thanks for helping out though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:26:31 AM by capcap »

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 11:46:22 AM »
it just seems crazy that a mod wheel the wrong way would slip through quality control.

I'm really satisfied with the instrument in general and happy with almost all the possibilities. But to be honest some issues have occured which make me feel quite disappointed regarding the quality control. I would call it "normal" that some functionality behaves weird in special cases, but I've found out a few things which may really not happen before publishing the device. Anyway, all cases were taken onto the todo list really fast, thanks to the support guys. Hopefully the developers will have enough time to fix it quite soon.
DSI Prophet Rev2

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 12:06:31 PM »
it just seems crazy that a mod wheel the wrong way would slip through quality control.

I'm really satisfied with the instrument in general and happy with almost all the possibilities. But to be honest some issues have occured which make me feel quite disappointed regarding the quality control. I would call it "normal" that some functionality behaves weird in special cases, but I've found out a few things which may really not happen before publishing the device. Anyway, all cases were taken onto the todo list really fast, thanks to the support guys. Hopefully the developers will have enough time to fix it quite soon.

The obvious question that comes to mind is: did you contact DSI support about it yet ?
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Prophet REV2 (16V), VC340

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 01:48:47 PM »

The obvious question that comes to mind is: did you contact DSI support about it yet ?

Of course, at least regarding the issues which I encounter and of which I'm pretty sure that they aren't based on operator errors.  8)
DSI Prophet Rev2

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 02:22:15 AM »
I've contacted DSI support with this issue. Really hoping it's a rare bug and not a soldering issue. We'll see what they say after new years. I swapped my P'08 for this, primarily to take on the road, so I need a fix for it. I own a P12 also (which for me works better as a sound design tool) but I find the sound and feature set of the Rev2 absolutely fantastic so far. So overall I think they created a fantastic instrument here, and there's no escaping issues like these in the early stages I guess, or they could wait forever to put it out and probably still not catch all the bugs.  I'll let you know when DSI get back to me.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »
Just for anyone interested in what happened with this, the mod wheel itself turned out to be faulty, so DSI sent me a replacement, and everything works as intended now :) 

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 03:08:02 PM »
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that the issue is resolved.  :D
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Prophet REV2 (16V), VC340