Rev 2 CV out to send clock to Roland SH101

Rev 2 CV out to send clock to Roland SH101
« on: January 14, 2018, 03:45:52 PM »
Hi All,

I am having trouble sending CV out to control tempo of Roland SH101 sequencer. Has anyone on the forum had success with this? Currently I am using a quater inch cable from the Rev 2 sequencer connecting it to the "EXT CLK IN" input of the Roland SH101

Should I be using a different cable to connect to SH101 CV in input? Are there any other setting that I should change on the Rev 2 to send clock out signal?

Apologies if I am being unclear I am a noob

Re: Rev 2 CV out to send clock to Roland SH101
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »
Hi All,

I am having trouble sending CV out to control tempo of Roland SH101 sequencer. Has anyone on the forum had success with this? Currently I am using a quater inch cable from the Rev 2 sequencer connecting it to the "EXT CLK IN" input of the Roland SH101

Should I be using a different cable to connect to SH101 CV in input? Are there any other setting that I should change on the Rev 2 to send clock out signal?

I'm sorry but it is not possible to do what you suggest. The REV2 Sequencer jack is for connecting a foot switch pedal to start/stop the internal sequencer of the REV2. It is not an output to control an external one.
Although it is possible to start/stop the REV2 sequencer with an audio signal, or to control the Trigger/Gate of the envelopes (by selecting the right Pedal mode in Globals) with an analog trigger pulse from an external device (such as a drum machine with Trig Out). But the REV2 cannot control the tempo of an external analog sequencer. (BTW, thank you for making me discover that feature when I read the manual about the Sequencer Jack input of the REV2)  :)

Moreover, the EXT CLK IN of the SH-101 is expecting an analog clock signal. It is not a CV (control Voltage) input per say.
You would need something like this to convert electrical/digital signals into the proper ones:
https://www.roland.com/global/products/sbx-1/

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:10:32 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 01:32:27 PM »
Hi All,

I'm sorry but it is not possible to do what you suggest. The REV2 Sequencer jack is for connecting a foot switch pedal to start/stop the internal sequencer of the REV2. It is not an output to control an external one.
Although it is possible to start/stop the REV2 sequencer with an audio signal, or to control the Trigger/Gate of the envelopes (by selecting the right Pedal mode in Globals) with an analog trigger pulse from an external device (such as a drum machine with Trig Out). But the REV2 cannot control the tempo of an external analog sequencer. (BTW, thank you for making me discover that feature when I read the manual about the Sequencer Jack input of the REV2)  :)

Moreover, the EXT CLK IN of the SH-101 is expecting an analog clock signal. It is not a CV (control Voltage) input per say.
You would need something like this to convert electrical/digital signals into the proper ones:
https://www.roland.com/global/products/sbx-1/

Hi Alain,

Thanks for taking time to respond, I am still wrapping my head around CV. I will try to find a budget controller second hand eg arturia beatstep to send CV

Much appreciated

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 06:02:11 AM »
Yeah a beat step pro is a cheap solution if you dont have much external gear. I am sure there are other products out there but the beat step would for sure get you there.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:30:31 PM »
Decided on the beatstep pro

Fantastic little machine, very easy to set up and start controlling the SH101