Polyphonic Aftertouch / MPE Support

Polyphonic Aftertouch / MPE Support
« on: December 04, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »
Hey guys

I'm seriously considering getting a REV2 but I've got some questions about its expressive controls.

1. Does the REV2 support bi-timbral aftertouch?  In split mode, you hold down notes from both sounds and tigger aftertouch of sound A, will the aftertouch of sound B be triggered as well?

2.  If bi-timbral aftertouch is not supported, can you assign aftertouch to sound A and not to sound B?  In split mode, lets say you sustain pads with sound B and at the same time you play lead line that utilises aftertouch with sound A.  Will sound B be modded? 

3.  Are there any plans for the REV2 to support MPE?  I'm guessing that it could support it to an extent seeing that the synth is bi-timbral however it would fantastic if it could be fully integrated.

4.  It's a pipe dream but is there a way to mod the REV2 key bed so that it could support poly aftertouch? 

5.  Have any of you played the REV2 module with an MPE controller like the Seaboard, Linnstrument or the QuNexus?  If so, how well does it interface with it? 

6.  How well does the desktop module interface with MIDI controllers?  Have any of you tried it with a controller that supports poly aftertouch?

I think this synth sounds amazing BTW.  However, I see a lot of developments happening in MPE and I would hate to invest some cash in a REV2 right now to find myself in a year from now having to sell it to get something that would integrate MPE. 

Thanks folks!
Turbo

Re: Polyphonic Aftertouch / MPE Support
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:54:28 PM »
I see a lot of developments happening in MPE and I would hate to invest some cash in a REV2 right now to find myself in a year from now having to sell it to get something that would integrate MPE.

IMHO, the best MPE options are virtual instruments, but you'll need to figure out which (MIDI? USB?) controller fits your style. Until you get that sorted out, there's no point in spec-chasing hardware to match its capabilities.

In general, you'd need an n-part multitimbral instrument in order to realize n voices of MPE polyphony. In the DSI realm, n ≤ 4; for the Rev2, you'd max out at two distinct channels / parts.

Poly aftertouch support, on the other hand, does not require any additional MIDI channels or multitimbral parts. The best keybeds I've found for PolyAT are early-90s Ensoniq units.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:02:24 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Re: Polyphonic Aftertouch / MPE Support
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:32:42 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the Ensoniq, I'll check'em out.

I've demoed a Linnstrument and programmed it with my TX81Z (which is 8 part multi-timbral) and my MOPHO X4.  It works like a charm with the TX but is a bit glitchy with the MOPHO.  Although the Linnstrument is a brilliantly designed unit, I came to realize that I would be more of a Keith Mcmillen K Board Pro kind of guy.  I found myself missing pressing keys ha.

Makes sense that the REV2 maxes out at 2 channels seeing that it's bi-timbral. I guess a good MPE choice in the DSI world would be the TETRA.