LFO LEDs behavior...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
LFO LEDs behavior...
« on: November 17, 2017, 04:40:07 AM »
This is strictly a cosmetic thing, and not anything that would matter that much, but I'm wondering a bit about the LED behavior on the LFO's... if you set the rate really slow and look at the LEDs, it's obvious that the resolution in brightness is rather low... they have a rather abrupt change in the darker shades... but what I find peculiar is, that the Triangle shape never reach the lowest brightness... it's as if it hardly even goes half dim... all other shapes reach the lowest shade (completely dark)... this makes the triangle shape look kind of faint on the LEDs...

I know it's just cosmetic, and yes I can live with it, but would like to know if anyone else sees the same as I do? ... want to make sure there is not something wrong with my REV2 in that regard :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

aeonn

Re: LFO LEDs behavior...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:17:23 AM »
For the second time, I agree with you on this.

I thought it was just a slight minor issue on mine but it seems that you have it too. It is a bit misleading when trying to get where we are on the LFO curve because the triangle shape never really goes dark. Which is odd because it’s the only shape (along with sample & hold) that actually goes “below” the initial modulated value. So yeah, it’s cosmetic but also a good visual feedback when playing. If there is any possibility to address that in the next update that would be great !

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: LFO LEDs behavior...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 12:09:41 PM »
For the second time, I agree with you on this.

I thought it was just a slight minor issue on mine but it seems that you have it too. It is a bit misleading when trying to get where we are on the LFO curve because the triangle shape never really goes dark. Which is odd because it’s the only shape (along with sample & hold) that actually goes “below” the initial modulated value. So yeah, it’s cosmetic but also a good visual feedback when playing. If there is any possibility to address that in the next update that would be great !

I agree fully... if you look at the saw LED feedback at very low frequency, it's clear that the light intensity is controlled in a low resolution state... maybe 8 or 16 discrete steps... usually LEDs are controlled in intensity with PWM, so the resolution of that PWM modulation must be very low... probably cost saving reasons which to me is fine...

But I think that the response from the LED is not linear, but rather logarithmic, and that the lowest resolution in this case always happen in the lowest values... this can be seen with the slow frequency sawtooth waveshape... it has some rather rough changes when the sawtooth reach zero... so much that it even looks erratic sometimes in behavior when the rate is slow.

Maybe this is why the Triangle only use maybe the upper half of the values... to not look weird when reaching all the way down to zero... but all is of course speculation...
If you need me, follow the shadows...