Your Music

Elric

• Peak Oil
Re: Your Music
« Reply #940 on: November 27, 2023, 02:03:56 AM »
Hi all! A brand new/very old one from me... another song from my teenage basement years, freshly re-recorded this for my latest album. The lyrics are vintage 1983/84! Very OMD-meets-Ultravox.

Pro One bass. Lots of Prophet 5. The solo is ARP Odyssey. There's a little recurring riff thats the ARP. and Moog Grandmother together. Bit of sampled CP-70 piano and some high/pretty Juno 6 via System 8. The drum machine was DR-110.

https://antonbarbeau.bandcamp.com/track/stumbling-falling

Nice. Fun!
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

CPN37

« Reply #941 on: November 28, 2023, 05:41:41 AM »
My album “Bloody Saturnalia” is out now:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kAqRWOTFypEznzQ-PM7PcdK1JtlqIEReE&si=m08dsHku2ShR72S0

The Prophet 5 Rev 4 is all over the album, along with its uncle (!) the Pro~One, and many more keyboards besides. Some notable keyboards:

- Tony Banks’ Roland Rhodes MK-80 (the culprit behind “I Can’t Dance” 😄)

- Keith Emerson’s piano (which is now based at a studio on the English south coast where I’m based)

- Maggie Cole’s harpsichord, Maggie is a renowned harpsichordist and also happens to be the partner of Richard Macphail (Genesis) making that a triple whammy of prog connections 😄

Anyway the album isn’t particularly prog. I hope you’ll give it a listen, and also if you see this on time please do join me for the “Bloody Saturnalia Listening Party” on Bandcamp, this Thursday 30th November at 8pm UK Time. We can listen to the album together and have a chinwag over Live Chat, RSVP here:

https://nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com/merch/the-second-bloody-saturnalia-listening-party

The album is available Digital / Gatefold 180g Vinyl LP formats, as well as being on the usual streaming / download sites:

https://nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com/album/bloody-saturnalia
Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com

« Reply #942 on: December 01, 2023, 10:59:40 AM »
One of my favorite trilogies (and also one that is currently unreleased on Blu Ray) is the 80s Italian Rambo knock off "THUNDER".

I didn't do a cover of the various scores for the trilogy but instead took a crack at my own original piece inspired by the films.

The main influence was Jerry Goldsmith's score for Extreme Prejudice which (Like much of Jerry's work) combined synth and drum machine elements with orchestral elements.

The Prophet X is handling the orchestral strings, brass and thunderous percussion in addition to sounds of the Prophet VS and the famous shakuhachi sample from the EMU library.

The ISLA S2400 is doing a driving beat using sounds from the Drumulator and it's also sequencing a lot of the Prophet X parts as well.

Hope you enjoy!

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #943 on: December 02, 2023, 09:33:35 AM »
I used the Trigon-6 for the melody on this song. It also has a Prophet 6 (pads) as well as a Minimoog and a Novation Peak involved. I started working on this around the same time my wife and I were putting together lyrics for a different song. Probably not coincidentally, the melody I was writing turned out to scan nicely with the lyrics. So we recorded it with that melody. I then went back to the song and made this instrumental version. The Soundcloud app/service (which makes me grumpier every time I use it) claimed it would distribute this with the text " - Instrumental" on the end of the title. It, however, did not.

youtube: https://youtu.be/4LKOPOmegKk?si=E-WOCHqmdxzPf4yV
spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/4RyDdu3YVLd5eHZWuanm40

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #944 on: December 05, 2023, 12:44:08 AM »
A very old track I did. (20 years?)
Mostly K2000 plus a TX81z? - And an SR-16.

https://soundcloud.com/ronlussier/got-punch

...I guess, here's an old all-tracks link...  (all 20+ years old?)
https://soundcloud.com/ronlussier/sets/all-tracks

[edit:  the classical stuff is 98% typed-in, then mouse/velocity edited, and REALLY dry / tempo locked!]
But, again, mostly K2000!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 01:37:33 AM by Elric »
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #945 on: December 06, 2023, 09:22:32 AM »
Elric, Might be older yet...It has a definite 80's vibe. ;)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #946 on: December 06, 2023, 06:25:48 PM »
Elric, Might be older yet...It has a definite 80's vibe. ;)

Haha. Yea.
I'm pretty sure these are all mid to late 90s. (Except the electronic classical, I did those in 2000-2001.)
My 80s sequences died with with my broken ESQ-1!  [Miss that thing!   $400!  lol ]
  - I grew up on Tangerine Dream, et al, and hard rock.
If I did new full tracks / "song sequences" it would still have an 80s vibe!
So... that's just me.  - I'm old.

« Reply #947 on: December 09, 2023, 07:21:06 AM »
This week I just wanted to do a quick little video of a cover I've been wanted to do for a while: Ralph Jones' score for Slumber Party Massacre. It's a fun and quirky little score originally done with a Casiotone MT-30!

For this cover I did everything using the Tempest. My previous experiments with the "Only Tempest" tracks have mostly been "all digital" and focusing on the VS waveforms, for this however I used a single analog oscillator on most sounds. Traditional sawtooth and square waves with a little audio feedback here and there.

I think it turned out well. Hope you enjoy!
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #948 on: December 15, 2023, 11:23:12 AM »
I wanted to try something completely different than what I've done before. I've been following a fantastic Drum and Bass producer @Thought-Forms and his tutorials in creating some 90s style music you would find in various video games. I'm not a gamer myself but some of the music he creates has been really inspiring. Silent Hill, Parasite Eve type stuff. I used some of his techniques to create this piece.

The Prophet X is handling most of the work, I used a sample in the "Ambience" category and stretched it across the key bed. I added some bit reduction to it to give it some character. I used the large Super Plate reverb that's onboard the PX.

There's some incidental sound effects as well coming from the PX and run through some onboard delay and reverb.

The S2400 is doing a typical slowed down breakbeat (which was common in this type of music) and pitch stretched it to fit the BPM of the track. I used the onboard analog filters to bring the beat in and out of the track.

Overall, I'm quite happy with it and it got me thinking, I might try and do a full album with this kind of minimalistic music. Very similar to 1990s horror films as well...reminds me of some passages from Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness.

Hope you enjoy!
© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #949 on: December 22, 2023, 08:41:53 AM »
Merry Christmas everyone! In the spirit of the season, I wanted to pay tribute to one of my favorite holiday horror flicks: Silent Night Deadly Night 3: Better Watch Out. Directed by one of my favorite filmmakers, the late great Monte Hellman (Beast From Haunted Cave, The Shooting, Two Lane Blacktop, Cockfighter, Ride The Whirlwind).

Out of all the entries in the infamous franchise, I enjoy this one the most and I can't explain why.

No idea what J Stephen Soles used but for this I used the Prophet X and ISLA S2400.

The Prophet X is handling the strings (Done with EMU samples) as well as the bell (8Dio) and female vocal (EMU) melody.

The PX is being sequenced by the S2400 which is also doing the drums using samples from the Roland R8 drum machine.

I hope you enjoy and have a safe and wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year. :)

℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #950 on: December 26, 2023, 08:58:37 AM »
Sounds good Lobo Lives.  The bells allow this to be Christmassy enough  ;)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #951 on: December 27, 2023, 02:26:50 AM »
I added a couple of my really old tracks to my SoundCloud. -- Just an improv/"jam" here.
-- The K2000 is/was kinda cool! (Though this has got some pretty bad moments in it. - Man that bass just drops out there!  :(  )

https://soundcloud.com/ronlussier/synth-t4

« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 02:39:53 AM by Elric »

« Reply #952 on: December 29, 2023, 11:54:30 AM »
Sounds good Lobo Lives.  The bells allow this to be Christmassy enough  ;)

Thank you so much!

« Reply #953 on: December 29, 2023, 11:54:47 AM »
As the new year approaches, for the first time in a long time, I'm hopeful for the future.

Hope you enjoy!
© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #954 on: December 30, 2023, 03:46:17 AM »
Rev2 does Blade Runner Blues Lead (CS-80).
At the end, there is a link to a second video about how to program the patch.

« Reply #955 on: January 05, 2024, 09:40:47 AM »
My wife and I were sitting on the back patio sometime last summer and she said that a short melody popped into her head. She then vocally recorded the 8 bar ditty into her phone. Then we got back to reading our books and sipping the wine. A couple of months ago,  I remembered it and we created the MIDI version of her impromptu phone recording and then added some parts ... and as these things sometimes go, we fiddled with it for a while and then called it "done".

The Trigon-6 has the main synth melody part, Prophet-6 on the pads, Minimoog on bass, and some soft synths for the rest.

« Reply #956 on: January 05, 2024, 09:47:16 AM »
My wife and I were sitting on the back patio sometime last summer and she said that a short melody popped into her head. She then vocally recorded the 8 bar ditty into her phone. Then we got back to reading our books and sipping the wine. A couple of months ago,  I remembered it and we created the MIDI version of her impromptu phone recording and then added some parts ... and as these things sometimes go, we fiddled with it for a while and then called it "done".

The Trigon-6 has the main synth melody part, Prophet-6 on the pads, Minimoog on bass, and some soft synths for the rest.

Really pretty. The synths sit so well together. And cool story of the song itself. Nice collaboration.

Curious how the differences between the Trigon and P6 sit for you. I've yet to encounter a Trigon in the wild, but I've been intrigued by it since its release.

« Reply #957 on: January 05, 2024, 10:26:08 AM »
Really pretty. The synths sit so well together. And cool story of the song itself. Nice collaboration.

Curious how the differences between the Trigon and P6 sit for you. I've yet to encounter a Trigon in the wild, but I've been intrigued by it since its release.

Thank you!

Good question about the Trigon and P6. My initial "throw away" short contrast statement would be that, "the T6 sounds edgier and grittier and the P6 sounds softer and more beautiful." But as we have all (on this forum) learned, Sequential makes fantastic sounding instruments across the board. The thing I am really enjoying is that the Trigon, to my ears, does indeed have quite a different sound from the P6; there is less overlap between the two of them than I expected.

What I am finding, though, is that the pair of them together are better than the sum of the parts, as it were. In my opinion, certain synths just naturally sound good when played together (as in playing both via MIDI ... so the same notes at the same time with different patches). And, wow, the P6 and Trigon make a rich beautiful sound when played at the same time.

It does seem to me that it takes a little more work to coax the sound I am looking for out of the Trigon than from the P6, but I've had the P6 since 2016 so the familiarity aspect likely contributes to that.

« Reply #958 on: January 05, 2024, 01:56:11 PM »

Thank you!

Good question about the Trigon and P6. My initial "throw away" short contrast statement would be that, "the T6 sounds edgier and grittier and the P6 sounds softer and more beautiful." But as we have all (on this forum) learned, Sequential makes fantastic sounding instruments across the board. The thing I am really enjoying is that the Trigon, to my ears, does indeed have quite a different sound from the P6; there is less overlap between the two of them than I expected.

What I am finding, though, is that the pair of them together are better than the sum of the parts, as it were. In my opinion, certain synths just naturally sound good when played together (as in playing both via MIDI ... so the same notes at the same time with different patches). And, wow, the P6 and Trigon make a rich beautiful sound when played at the same time.

It does seem to me that it takes a little more work to coax the sound I am looking for out of the Trigon than from the P6, but I've had the P6 since 2016 so the familiarity aspect likely contributes to that.

I've always enjoyed certain pairings of synths... Prophet 6 and Juno 6 were a good team, with a clear contrast in tones between them. And interesting that the P6 is your easy-to-coax synth. I've had mine as long as you've had yours but I still sometimes have to give it a proper nudge to get it moving into the sonic range I want. But... your piece of music does a seamless job of weaving great tones together.

« Reply #959 on: January 12, 2024, 11:41:25 AM »
I wanted to dedicate this to Zahliia Müller (Manhattan Zodiac '77) who has graciously offered me another soundtrack endeavor with her newest film Delirium 13.  She once remarked that she would love to have me as the Fabio Frizzi to her Lucio Fulci so I thought it would be fitting to do a Frizzi track for her.

℗ Everett Dudgeon 2024