Your Music

Re: Your Music
« Reply #920 on: September 23, 2023, 11:14:54 AM »
I have a new single out now called "End Of Terrain.", accompanied by an amazing video by award winning neural networks artist and filmmaker Glenn Marshall, who has previously worked with Peter Gabriel and Tangerine Dream.

I used the Prophet 5 Rev 4 heavily on the song, it's doing the background atmospheric stuff and also the big Northern Lights solar flare type melody in between the choruses and verses. Other synths used are the ARP Pro Soloist and the SCI Pro-One. Along with good old fashioned piano, drums, guitar and bass.

"End Of Terrain." is taken from the forthcoming album "Bloody Saturnalia", which is available to pre-order now on Digital or 180 gram vinyl gatefold LP formats. If you pre-order the album on Bandcamp you get "End Of Terrain" now, plus the complete album the moment it’s released on the 24th November.

If you're interested, here are some links...

Pre-order "Bloody Saturnalia":
https://nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com/album/bloody-saturnalia

Buy "End Of Terrain" / watch the video:
https://nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com/track/end-of-terrain

"End Of Terrain." was written following the passing of my Dad, and a little trip to Iceland I made to see the Northern Lights, a step up from watching lightning storms as Dad and I would do when I was a child. As luck would (not) have it, the lights did not show themselves - or at least not to the naked eye. Just a slightly greenish tinge to the sky on long exposure photographs. So thank goodness we have songs where can make anything we like happen, we can have the solar flare strike Earth's magnetic field every chorus, and the lights dance in the sky as the souls of departed loved ones.

Really nice. Always like your music, and the video was fab. And... much appreciation for your stack o'gear!
Very sorry to hear about your dad, meanwhile. My own father is in his last months. Life does as it wishes with us, I guess.

CPN37

« Reply #921 on: September 23, 2023, 11:20:36 AM »
I have a new single out now called "End Of Terrain.", accompanied by an amazing video by award winning neural networks artist and filmmaker Glenn Marshall, who has previously worked with Peter Gabriel and Tangerine Dream.

I used the Prophet 5 Rev 4 heavily on the song, it's doing the background atmospheric stuff and also the big Northern Lights solar flare type melody in between the choruses and verses. Other synths used are the ARP Pro Soloist and the SCI Pro-One. Along with good old fashioned piano, drums, guitar and bass.

"End Of Terrain." is taken from the forthcoming album "Bloody Saturnalia", which is available to pre-order now on Digital or 180 gram vinyl gatefold LP formats. If you pre-order the album on Bandcamp you get "End Of Terrain" now, plus the complete album the moment it’s released on the 24th November.

"End Of Terrain." was written following the passing of my Dad, and a little trip to Iceland I made to see the Northern Lights, a step up from watching lightning storms as Dad and I would do when I was a child. As luck would (not) have it, the lights did not show themselves - or at least not to the naked eye. Just a slightly greenish tinge to the sky on long exposure photographs. So thank goodness we have songs where can make anything we like happen, we can have the solar flare strike Earth's magnetic field every chorus, and the lights dance in the sky as the souls of departed loved ones.

Really nice. Always like your music, and the video was fab. And... much appreciation for your stack o'gear!
Very sorry to hear about your dad, meanwhile. My own father is in his last months. Life does as it wishes with us, I guess.

Thanks Anton. You aren't in Berlin are you? I am at the moment - although to be fair I'm finishing off self isolating with Covid, whoops. Anyway I'm sorry to hear about your Dad too. I guess it's that time of our lives when the generation above us slips away, along with the safety net.
Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com

« Reply #922 on: September 23, 2023, 12:35:35 PM »

Thanks Anton. You aren't in Berlin are you? I am at the moment - although to be fair I'm finishing off self isolating with Covid, whoops. Anyway I'm sorry to hear about your Dad too. I guess it's that time of our lives when the generation above us slips away, along with the safety net.

You know, I was meant to be doing a listening party for my new album just last night in Berlin, but my dad's health is poor enough that I felt cancelling the trip was wise. So, no Berlin Covid swap for me just now!

CPN37

« Reply #923 on: September 23, 2023, 12:43:46 PM »

You know, I was meant to be doing a listening party for my new album just last night in Berlin, but my dad's health is poor enough that I felt cancelling the trip was wise. So, no Berlin Covid swap for me just now!

Ah that's a shame. What a strange confluence of life events. I wish you the best with the situation with your Dad, I hope it goes as well as it can.
Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

« Reply #924 on: September 27, 2023, 07:17:25 AM »
Hey all! This is another quick recording I did when I was in the studio last time. It actually consists of some patches I created when I originally got the Prophet X.

No direct influence on the music but it's certainly inspired by some Italian Sword And Sorcery/Barbarian style flicks. I tried to combine traditional orchestral sounds but blended with a few synth sounds here and there.

Nothing fancy but I hope you enjoy!

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #925 on: October 06, 2023, 10:00:01 AM »
Hi all - I recently posted a link to my latest release, a double album called Morgenmusik/Nachtschlager. Lots of Prophet 5, Prophet 6 and Pro One on the album etc.

The Gare du Nord label has seen fit to put together a remix album of selected songs from the album. The album comes out Oct 20 with a listening party, but you can check it out in advance on Bandcamp. I'm thrilled with how it turned out. Hope you dig it, too!

https://garedunordrecords.bandcamp.com/album/morgenmusik-nachtschlager-remixes

« Reply #926 on: October 06, 2023, 10:07:53 AM »
To coincide with the Visual Vengeance Blu Ray release, I wanted to do a cover of Kim and Richard Davis' score for the 1986 Super 8 monster film The Abomination.

Everything you hear is actually from the Tempest. I went with a harsher digital sound and utilized the onboard VS waves.  I recorded it in two passes with the on board distortion activated on one of the passes, while the other one was clean. I overdubbed some polyphonic pads and added some chorus and reverb via Studio One.

Hope you enjoy!

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #927 on: October 13, 2023, 07:06:01 AM »
This track is very special to me. I've always been a huge fan of Jerry Goldsmith's work, specifically his interest in experimenting with bringing different types of sounds into his traditional orchestral compositions. I decided, I should at least attempt, to give one of his pieces a go. Not a 1:1 cover, but my own interpretation of a cue.

The 1989 film Leviathan has been a huge childhood favorite of mine. I remember renting it from Jumbo Video endlessly and watching it with him and my brother. I was always fascinated with the creature.

Goldsmith was incorporating a lot of synthesizers into his work in the 80s. Specifically the Yamaha DX and TX FM sounds as well as the Prophet VS. As such I also incorporated some Prophet VS sounds and white noise sequences from the Tempest, which is also adding a drum machine kick drum (Not in the original cue but I thought it worked)

The Prophet X is handling everything else. From the "underwater" sound effects (done via a lower tuned "Sea Horse" percussion sound darkened with the PX's analog filter. The strings, percussion, brass, vibraphone, woodwinds etc are all Prophet X. I think my personal criticism of my version is there's not enough woodwind work. Woodwinds seem to be something I always forget to focus on when working on my orchestral tunes. I'll certainly try and rectify that for the future.

I hope you enjoy!

℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

CPN37

« Reply #928 on: October 14, 2023, 06:46:40 AM »
Alex Ball, he of the rather great YouTube documentaries on the Prophet 5, Korg, ARP etc, has remixed my song “End Of Terrain”. My Prophet 5 parts are still on there along with ARP Pro Soloist, but everything else is Alex on a variety of vintage instruments including the ARP Avatar and the Roland System 100 and 100m.

https://youtu.be/auuwBN7wZFo?si=y7T2r2_6vPAuTikY

You can download the remix here, and the album pre-order for my forthcoming album “Bloody Saturnalia” is on the Bandcamp site too:

https://nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com/track/end-of-terrain-alex-ball-remix
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 06:49:57 AM by CPN37 »

« Reply #929 on: October 15, 2023, 02:24:16 PM »
Alex Ball, he of the rather great YouTube documentaries on the Prophet 5, Korg, ARP etc, has remixed my song “End Of Terrain”. My Prophet 5 parts are still on there along with ARP Pro Soloist, but everything else is Alex on a variety of vintage instruments including the ARP Avatar and the Roland System 100 and 100m.

You can download the remix here, and the album pre-order for my forthcoming album “Bloody Saturnalia” is on the Bandcamp site too:

Curious! He's taken your track and "brought it indoors." It's a little less personal, but it would be as a remix... Alex's version is as much about the joy of synths as anything, maybe. 

CPN37

« Reply #930 on: October 16, 2023, 12:08:34 AM »

Curious! He's taken your track and "brought it indoors." It's a little less personal, but it would be as a remix... Alex's version is as much about the joy of synths as anything, maybe.

That describes it quite well 😊

« Reply #931 on: October 17, 2023, 02:48:11 PM »
Very nice original post Paul Dither, I was listening to it just now.  I didn't chase any of the other posts, but it did remind me of a little thing I put on Bitchute yesterday a 1 hour and 5 minute replay from Nov 16 2019 Youtube live stream entitled "Underwater Sounds" at the time.  Now I am currently very annoyed on the Bitchute platform, and boycotting the Youtube, so no one should take this title I put on Bitchute seriously, as it is hateful and can get me cancelled, but it is all in the spirit of despising the entire internet these days.  So yeah, not talking to yall on that one. 
Any way, current events in the world, being what they are, I went with my feeling on that one, and appear to have been cancelled off Bitchute actually the day before and not for the reason of the title, but more for the reason of deleting all my older videos and unsubscribing from about 5 channels, which obviously struch a wrong chord as does my current hate for practically every one on that friggin platform. 
So here, to make a long story short, This is the replay from 2019 Youtube, hsoted today by Bitchute but possibly ghostbanned/invisible depending how the link reacts when not logged in.  The synths were I believe the Reface CS on heavy bass, and then there were some VST synths in various programs including Velvet Piano, (which comprised most of the soloing in the last 20 minutes) Vacuum Pro (AIR) was spotted, ME80 (Memory Moon), and Arturia Prophet on last 25 minutes arps.  The Drums (last 25 minutes) were provided by Sennheiser VST.  Very heavy LFO type Bass from the CS I believe.  This was actually a very good live performance I listened to it several times yesterday after and while uploading it.  Please excuse my hate, or if you don't want to do that that's fine too.  You really can't hurt me.
https://www.bitchute.com/video/kNY8kHVB21bK/
Prophet 10, 0692
Ryzen 3900XT 12/24
Studio One
iPhone 5s Moog Model D via bluetooths of Reface Looper or Xkeys, Arturia Beatstep Pro w/Roland System 1m, Roland JP08, Roland TD17s as drums &->Prophet 10, Oxygen 8v2->Prophet, Akai Adv 25 or Launchey arps->Prophet10 or any all VSTs.

« Reply #932 on: October 20, 2023, 10:17:29 AM »
I wanted to try another "suite" approach to an original theme. This time taking inspiration from low budget films like Fiend, Galaxy Invader, Night Fright and...you guessed it The Day It Came To Earth. I absolutely love these kind of films.

I wanted to do a really stripped back approach and as such I limited myself to using the Prophet X only as a faux electric grand piano (In fact a stock factory preset). The Prophet 6 is mostly doing monophonic work, faux Theremin and sound effects and the Tempest is just doing a simply beat using the Boss DR55 samples. Both the P6 and Tempest are run through some onboard distortion to give a really raw sound

I hope you enjoy!

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #933 on: October 20, 2023, 10:57:55 AM »
Hey all - in the spirit of remix-mania, the Gare du Nord label is hosting a live listening party right about now, 11am (PDT), running the remix album of songs from my new Morgenmusik/Nachtschlager record. Lots of very synthy/electro moments, but I've zero clue what gear was used by others. I don't even know how many of my Prophet 5/6 tracks survived the remixes! Tune in, turn on and find out in real time!

https://garedunordrecords.bandcamp.com/live/morgenmusik-nachtschlager-remixes-listening-party

« Reply #934 on: October 29, 2023, 11:00:38 AM »
This is mostly Novation Summit synth.   I used wave forms of a GuZheng and Erhu (both oriental string instruments) to program into Summit's oscillators.    I have a china cymbal that I used for the gong like crashes.  Though the bell-like repetitions towards the end are all Summit.      Tuvan Singer and soprano voice are via Omnisphere.  Those would be hard to synthesize  ;)

https://soundcloud.com/wavescape-1/beyond-yellow-river
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #935 on: October 31, 2023, 10:50:10 AM »
Did you really think I'd forget?

I couldn't help but do a cover of my favorite rendition of the classic theme. Halloween 2 has a much more "Gothic" feel than the first film and the synthesized pipe organ version of the theme emphasizes this.

The original was done with a Prophet 5, Prophet 10, 2 ARP Avatars and ARP Sequencer as well as a Linn LM1 Drum Computer.

For this I wanted to embrace the qualities of both the Prophet 6 and the Tempest. In fact, most of what you hear are factory presets!  The Tempest is using one of the kits from "Roger's Beats" and also doing the famous 10 note melody in 5/4 time. The Prophet 6 is doing all the menacing brass, strings, organ sounds as well as the screeches/stingers near the end. Near the end I went crazy with the Tempest and started messing with the feedback, pitch, distortion to make the piece fall apart.

I couldn't help but also throw in the "Mr. Sandman" melody which plays during the ending credits.

Happy Halloween Everybody!

℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

CPN37

« Reply #936 on: November 12, 2023, 02:46:41 AM »
I have another single released from the forthcoming Bloody Saturnalia album (out 24th November, pre-order digital / gatefold 180 gram vinyl LP formats at https://nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com), it's called Chloe's Brain 🧠.

The song features piano, ARP Pro Soloist, Mellotron, Pro-One, & various soft synths as well as guitar, Aubrey Simpson from Pale Blue Eyes on bass guitar, and Simon Adams on drums.

Neural networks artist Glenn Marshall who has made videos for Tangerine Dream and Peter Gabriel has created another video for Chloe's Brain, just as hypnotising as the one for the End Of Terrain single.

Hope you like it!

« Reply #937 on: November 17, 2023, 10:20:58 AM »
I slept over with my dogs at the studio this past weekend and while we were in bed, we watched 1989's Moonstalker. Part of Vinegar Syndrome's Homegrown Horrors Boxset Volume 2. It's a fun, independent slasher film with an excellent soundtrack by Douglas Pipes. It has a great theme and I couldn't resist turning on the Prophet X and S2400 and doing a quick rendition of it.

I have no idea what was used on the original but here's a breakdown of this track. I wanted to try and think of what type of synth sounds they were using around this time.

Prophet X is doing 3 parts

1-Piano with no velocity and lots of chorus on it.

2-Synth pad-done using the oscillator samples instead of onboard oscillators. Giving it a static, low budget type effect.

3-DX7 bass/clav. This is done using two DX7 samples: A bass and clav explosion patch and I slowly fade the clav sample in as the song intensifies.

The S2400 is actually loaded with samples from the Roger Linn Adrenelinn 3 Effects Box. There's some excellent sounds in that machine. Wish I didn't sell my guitars, I'd be using it a lot more.

Hope you enjoy and beware of Bernie....he's still out there.

℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #938 on: November 25, 2023, 10:25:16 AM »
Oskar Sala is likely a name that isn't common when discussing synth soundtracks. He was a German composer who specialized in the Trautonium, an early form of musical synthesizer invented in the 1930s. In 1948, Sala further developed the Trautonium into the Mixtur-Trautonium. Sala's invention opened the field of subharmonics, the symmetric counterpart to overtones, so that a thoroughly distinct tuning evolved.

He managed to score many films with this instrument and later used it to create a non-musical soundtrack for Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.

One of his best scores was for the Edgar Wallace inspired Krimi film "Strangler At Blackmoor Castle" (1963). What stands out to me is the fact that around this time most electronic scores were used in space oriented science fiction films (Ala Forbidden Planet) but this is a murder mystery set in a dark and brooding castle...with a completely electronic score. This predates the synth slasher craze by decades.

I approached this, not as a cover but more or less as creating my own unique sound using the Prophet X.  I tried to create an instrument that might have been possible around this time period:

-Despite what you might think, 0 oscillators are being used. The Prophet X is being run in 32 voice paraphonic mode with ONLY a Hammond organ sample being run through the onboard ring modular effect.

-The PX's sliders are controlling the parameters of the effect and the key tracking is set to full.

-The filter has a slow attack with resonance. Given that the synth is in paraphonic mode, this is only evident during certain key presses.

Everything is done in one take with no overdubs. The reverb you hear is also from the PX as well.

I hope you enjoy!

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #939 on: November 26, 2023, 02:02:32 PM »
Hi all! A brand new/very old one from me... another song from my teenage basement years, freshly re-recorded this for my latest album. The lyrics are vintage 1983/84! Very OMD-meets-Ultravox.

Pro One bass. Lots of Prophet-5. The solo is ARP Odyssey. There's a little recurring riff that's the ARP and Moog Grandmother together. Bit of sampled CP-70 piano and some high/pretty Juno 6 via System 8. The drum machine was DR-110.

https://antonbarbeau.bandcamp.com/track/stumbling-falling
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 08:54:39 AM by Paul Dither »